lef - [LEF] Linux Presentation Day in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland

Objet : Liste de discussion de l'initiative Libre en Fête

[LEF] Linux Presentation Day in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland

  • From: Hauke Laging <hauke.laging AT linux-presentation-day.de>
  • To: lef AT libre-en-fete.net
  • Subject: [LEF] Linux Presentation Day in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland
  • Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 22:19:27 +0100

Hello,

I am a member of the board of the Berlin Linux User Group (BeLUG, a non-
commercial association). About a year ago I had an idea for a new kind
of Linux event which should be targeted at people who don't know Linux
yet and which should be very easy to organize. It is called the "Linux
Presentation Day" – not very German but we intended from the beginning
to expand this beyond Germany after some time. Here is an English
summary:

http://www.linux-presentation-day.org/

On May, 9th 2015 we had the first event, limited to Berlin at eight
locations. The second event (the first outside Berlin but also organized
by BeLUG) was on November, 14th. 79 locations in 72 cities in three
countries participated; the event had 1500 visitors (due to an
unexpected lack of media coverage). Two new Linux User Groups have been
founded.

Now we have started to look for organizations abroad for our next event
as the main goal of the event is to make it so big that we reach a new
level of media coverage. We were more than surprised when we were told
that the Italians have been doing something very similar for 15
years...!

http://www.linuxday.it/

Yesterday I have contacted about 25 French LUGs. One of them has replied
and told me about Libre en Fête. I just got surprised replies on the
German mailing list from people who regularly attend to RMLL or have
been spending their vacation in France fpr years and never heard about
it.

I hope that someone of you is willing to tell me more about Libre en
Fête (so that I understand the differences) and answer my questions about
the experiences you made.

We are looking for a few organizations (LUGs, similar associations,
companies, schools, universities, ...) which are interested in such an
event (LPD) and might participate in the LPD 2016.1 and use their
experience from that for organizing it as a nationwide event for LPD
2016.2.

http://www.linux-presentation-day.org/call-for/2016.1/

The date for the next event (LPD 2016.1) is April, 30th (Saturday). The
date for 2016.2 will probably be the Italian date (October, 22th).

The Italians have announced to participate in LPD 2016.1. The nationwide
Dutch LUG is interested in participating, two British cities are, too.
And more countries have been and will be addressed. The aim is to have a
Europe-wide event soon and a worldwide event within a few years.

The LPD is twice a year because it's little effort to organize it and we
think that the (non-IT) media may cover a big Linux event twice a year
but probably not more often. The Italians have their own event once per
year (in October). They participate in April and will have an event
that's more like ours in order to compare and improve their regular
event from this experience. They will probably use the name Linux
Presentation Day for the new April date.

Maybe some of you are interested to participate on October, 22nd (or
some date around that; similar to you it's part of the LPD concept that
the organizers can choose different dates), maybe under the name Linux
Presentation Day in order to try some changes. My impression is that
your events are much more effort to organize (even if that may not be a
requirement). My aim is to have about 1,000 locations in several hundred
cities in Germany in about two years. This should be possible because

a) the LPD helps found new LUGs
b) the adult education centers are very interested in participating
c) schools may participate inofficially (i.e. for their teachers, pupils
and their parents only).

CU

Hauke
--
Hotline für den Linux Presentation Day: 030 / 55579620 (13–23 h)
mobil: 0176 / 7482 7253 (13–23 h)

XMPP (Chat mit OTR): linux-presentation-day AT jabber.ccc.de
OTR: 91626899 1C06F2BD 75EC2441 35C696CE 38F75997

  • [LEF] Linux Presentation Day in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland, Hauke Laging, 20/12/2015

Archives gérées par MHonArc 2.6.18.

Haut de le page